[ NNSquad ] Re: Bell Canada proposal to cap wholesale customers

Russell Smiley wrote:
Bell Canada has submitted a proposal to the CRTC to allow it to cap
bandwidth usage of wholesale customers (mostly independent ISPs). The
independent ISPs are concerned that this will essentially eliminate the
possibility of 'unlimited bandwidth' type offerings to their customers.

We should keep this in mind whenever someone suggests that open access or structural separation are the solution to broadband monopoly problems in the US. If you have a "friendly" ISP sending traffic over Time Warner's pipes, TW can still cap or throttle you and they would lobby the government to make it legal. If monopolies don't work and overbuilding doesn't work and open access doesn't work we could be in for a grim broadband future. Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Wes Felter - wesley@felter.org

   [ It doesn't need to be grim.  But the complexity of the broadband
     environment (technically, economically, and politically) is such
     that "single-category" solutions are unlikely to be adequate in
     isolation, particulary when we start off with inadequate
     information about what's really going on.  Historically, these
     are the sorts of situations where carefully tuned regulatory
     approaches have needed to be introduced and evolved over periods
     of time.  The analogies between broadband access issues and past
     industrial controversies such as oil industry competition and
     railroads are not insignificant.  To better understand the future,
     it's often very useful to pay closer attention to the past.