[ NNSquad ] Why does the US lag?

International measuring groups report that broadband has a smaller penetration in the US than in other developed countries, that we often pay more for less.

The question is, why? In principle, the US is the least regulated market in this regard. Not _unregulated_, by any means, but by and large our regulators have been less heavy-handed than in Europe or Japan. So, by capitalist theory, we should get the best results. But measured results do not agree.

This is _not_ an automatic indictment of our capitalist system. Quite the contrary, it is a call for a _reasoned_ discussion of the factors that affect our performance. Is it really as abysmal as it looks? If so, why?

Some factors I can think of:

1. The US is a great deal less dense than the EU & Japan. THis means that any form of wired access (TV cable, telephone wires) costs more per household here than elsewhere. I have read that you could fit the entire population of the world into California, at the same density as Los Angeles (a not-very-dense city compared with NY, Boston, and especially Tokyo).

2. Lack of incentive for consumers to adopt broadband: the concept of the "local call". This was adopted early in the US telephone regulation, part of AT&T's tradeoff of "universal" service for a protected (but regulated) monopoly. This concept does not exist in Europe AFAIK. Even calling your next-door neighbor costs a few cents a minute. So keeping a dial-up connection to the internet open is cheap in the US, expensive in the rest of the world.(*)

3. Lack of a government commitment to connect everybody to the Internet. AFAIK both Japan and many EU countries have spent tax dollars to increase broadband penetration. Economists can argue until doomsday about whether this was, overall, a good thing.

4. Something in our regulatory scheme that encourages artificial creation of scarcity.

To the extent possible, I would like to see _reasoned_ arguments backed up with _facts_. Speculation, proof by assertion ("Our ISPs create an artificial scarcity, I'm sure of it"), circular reasoning, do not advance our knowledge.

To quote from The Notebooks of Lazarus Long, by R. A. Heinlein:

What are the facts? Again and again and again -- what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" -- what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

(*) This means that people who don't feel a need for videos or large images have much less incentive to buy broadband for $30+/month, compared with dial-up at $10-15/month. And, by one of those odd paradoxes of life, people who have never used a high-speed connection and seen what it can do, simply may not realize what they are missing.

An old friend who moved to Germany visited us in the late 90s, when we already had broadband through our cableco. He's a big space fan, and looked at some _huge_ images on the NASA site. And watched as the image filled the screen in about 1 second, filling in almost as fast as he could scroll down to look at more of it. And he swore to get broadband as soon as he could. Without that visit, would he have even known this was possible? And that he really wanted it?