Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:36:21 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno@infowarrior.org>
Date: July 28, 2009 10:47:40 PM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior@attrition.org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: Apple climbs on the cybergeddon bandwagon

Way to spread the FUD, Apple.  Time to ratchet up that Reality Distortion
Field.....

-- rick

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/jailbreak/

The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic”
cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and abroad if iPhone owners
are permitted to legally jailbreak their shiny wireless devices — that’s
what Apple claims.

< - >

By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could
potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that
could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to
process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking
control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside
the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result.

“The technological protection measures were designed into the iPhone
precisely to prevent these kinds of pernicious activities, and if granted,
the jailbreaking exemption would open the door to them,” Apple added.

Threat Level had no idea the iPhone was so dangerous. We’re gratified that
Apple locked down this potential weapon of mass disruption before hackers
could unleash cybarmageddon. This also explains why Apple rejected the
official Google Voice App for the iPhone this week. We thought it was
because Google Voice posed a threat to AT&T’s exclusivity deal with Apple.
Now we know it threatened national security.

< - >