[ NNSquad ] Re: H.R. 3458, Rep. Markey's third bill proposing to regulate the Internet and ISPs

"in many cases because there is nothing available or affordable but dialup."

This gets to my point. There is actually a lot of capacity available -- wireless and the copper phone lines. After all, the dialup modem is just one way to set bits over a wire. Why not make that an adaptive DSL line card that isn’t constrained to reverse model an SS7 codec. It’s just copper and the reason it’s not available is due to the funding model. Same for a all that abundant wireless capacity.

We’re trying to solve a business model problem by adding more fiber (http://frankston.com/?n=TelecomPrison). This doesn’t solve the basic problem of availability. You can’t assume availability as long as you have to have each and every one subscribe and even then you have to do it all over again for wireless and even if you do that you can’t assume connectivity unless the provider you use covers the space you are in at the moment.

But why wait to spend billions when we have the physical infrastructure now.

As to Korea – they do think in terms of billable services – http://frankston.com/?n=InternetDynamic. In that essay I also explain why the only way to get the speeds you want is by not requiring them.

As an aside – the excitement of getting all the data online is suspect – it’s too much about telecom. What about compliance and connected devices? What about preventative medicine rather than just having to communicate in an emergency (E911). This fixation and broadband diverts our attention to basic issues.