[ NNSquad ] "As Internet turns 40, barriers threaten its growth"

As Internet turns 40, barriers threaten its growth

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/30/AR2009083001406.html

Ah, my fond recollections of the refrigerator-sized IMP (Interface
Message Processor -- essentially a router) in UCLA's basement ARPANET
lab (3514 Boelter Hall or thereabouts, if memory serves) -- complete
with high-speed tape reader (for reading a metallized "paper tape"
boot in case of emergency) and direct phone line to SRI -- not to
mention the (also refrigerator-sized) General Telephone interface to
the ARPANET backbone (a blinding 56 Kb/s!)  Somewhere I have a photo
of Robby the Robot standing next to that IMP.  But that's another
story ...