[ NNSquad ] Request for input on the definition of Broadband

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:07:18 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Request for input on the definition of Broadband
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

The other day I had a conversation with a friend at the Federal
Communications Commission. He asked an interesting question. When people
talk about broadband they tend to talk about numbers bits per second except
for.

Something seems wrong with this approach. First it is very sensitive to the
advancement of technology any number will be obsolete in a few years.
Second of all, and maybe most important it ignores other issues that would
make any speed usable in many applications -- -- like latency chair etc. He
asked if there was a "syntax" for broadband -- -- that is a deeper way of
characterizing when a system supports broadband and when it does not.

I offer to the IP community a chance to take a crack at this interesting
and potentially profitable challenge.

Dave