[ NNSquad ] Is the bandwidth hog a myth?

----- Forwarded message from Larry Press <lpress@csudh.edu> -----

Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:52:46 -0800
From: Larry Press <lpress@csudh.edu>
Subject: Is the bandwidth hog a myth?
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>

Lauren,

For your list if appropriate:

Benoit Felten of the Yankee Group challenges the "myth of the bandwidth
hog" used by ISPs to fight network neutrality:

http://www.fiberevolution.com/2009/12/whats-a-bandwidth-hog-.html

He argues that TCP is inherently fair (though he does not address UDP).

Felten is offering Telcos free data analysis on network usage by
individual users if they are willing to provide him with a specified data
set.  Telcos may remain anonymous, and the results of the study will be
published -- Felten states that:

"if I find myself to be wrong and if indeed I manage to identify users
that systematically degrade the experience for other users, I will say so
publicly. If, as I suspect, there are no such users, I will also say so
publicly. The data will back either of these assertions."

Larry

----- End forwarded message -----