[ NNSquad ] Re: Yahoo's spam insanity

Lauren + list,

You're probably right about that. Perhaps I should have - or will -
try that approach. Although my first instinct was that putting
false/bad information into the forms (e.g. bad list URLs, or BS
answers to privacy policy/unsubscribe procedure questions) would have
set me up for immediate rejection, especially in light of the type of
people their abuse team is accustomed to dealing with. I suspect the
zeitgeist of these teams fosters the extreme suppression of empathy
and original thinking.

Also, since it seems extraordinarily easy to get on this list, and
impossible to get removed from it - I wonder how many people/SMTP
servers are on it and don't know (or deserve) it - and just assume
their Yahoo-using contacts are ignoring them. I doubt there's any
public way to check, other than the obvious (and arduous) process of
trial and error for each IP address. (Kafka, are you in on this?) ;)

I had a client a few years ago who offered a remailing service that
generated fairly foolproof read receipts (for 98% of the emailing
population, anyway.) The privacy outcry was loud, and valid, and
understandable. But I feel like we're long beyond the point where
legitimate email senders need a way to know assuredly that a message
was delivered and read. (Any marketer who sends an HTML newsletter has
this ability.) I hear very little outcry about the privacy
implications of message-tracking in the real world (FedEx, USPS, UPS,
etc.) and many community software packages allow you to see if and
when private messages have been read. (vBulletin, etc.) Along those
lines, I also think legitimate senders should be notified if their
message has been filtered to spam. I mean, based on all my
conversations with laypersons, I don't really know why spam folders
should even exist in light of how the average person uses (or, more
accurately, doesn't use) them. Just reject the message at the server,
I say.

Finally, I know this basic concept is old hat to you NN champions -
it's not even NN 101, so forgive me - but the idea that a company
handling the inboxes of millions can arbitrarily squelch me, and
provide no sane or rational way to get unsquelched - is ominous
indeed. What has me feeling a little dumb is that, until the off-list
emails between Lauren and I this morning, I hadn't really "zoomed out"
and considered this fully in a Net Neutrality context. So, thanks for
that.

-a

   [ A quick comment on Spam folders and spam handling.  In fact, I've
     long handled all e-mail into my servers in the manner that you
     suggest -- mail that is flagged as possible spam is rejected at
     the SMTP server level, along with a link in the error message
     that directs senders to an explanatory page with a bypass e-mail
     form (for reaching the postmaster directly to explain the
     situation):

     http://www.vortex.com/mailblock.html

     On most systems these days, it's common for incorrectly flagged
     mail that isn't spam to end up in user spam folders that are
     rarely or never inspected, with zero indication to the sender
     that their message was never seen.  Not good, and a situation I
     would find unacceptable for my own inbound e-mail handling.

     There are a couple of downsides to the server-level reject approach.
     One is that since the thumbs-up/thumbs-down decision must be made
     in real-time during the SMTP transaction, there are loading and
     scaling issues that may make this difficult or impossible for
     some high volume sites.

     The other downside is somewhat amusing.  I occasionally get calls
     or bypass notes from people indignant that my servers dared to
     suggest that their e-mail might be spam.  I respond that some
     false positives are inevitable in these systems.  Then I ask if
     they'd have preferred getting *no indication* that their message
     had been so flagged and was unread, as would be the case on most
     systems where the mail would have just been tossed into a spam or
     trash folder silently.  Usually upon reconsideration such senders
     do appreciate the benefits of the real-time approach!

=====