[ NNSquad ] Re: Former Soviet state may require registration of all Internet users

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
Former Soviet state may require registration of all Internet users

http://bit.ly/823ESL (MSNBC)

Heh! And what about websites outside of Belarus? I'm afraid this proves that politicians (and especially dictators) understand the Internet even less than musicians (see the post about Bono's idiocy).

Are there satellites that can "see" Belarus? Cell towers in adjacent countries. TO quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

  [ The secret police can still make your life pretty miserable if
    merely using a laptop when not "registered" is a crime -- and
    802.11g has poor performance through thick Soviet-era basement
    prison cell walls.  Plus, using the keyboard with your hands
    cuffed behind your back is tiresome at best, one would imagine.

    Still, fantasizing that you can *really* control Internet usage
    this way makes about as much sense as trying to blow up the Earth
    because it obstructs your view of Venus:

http://bit.ly/5FDm8K (YouTube)
-- Lauren Weinstein
NNSquad Space Modulator -- uh, I mean, NNSquad Moderator! ]