[ NNSquad ] Re: Who Confirms The Accuracy Of ISP Usage Meters?

So what we need is a independent device that can measure that network
usage.  It should be open source, to be verifiable, and cheap.  It
won't fix the problem, but it would put a solution in the hands of
many users.  The more users that have it the more accountability which
could be imposed on the service providers.

A small box with two ethernet ports, one for the outside world, and
one for the inside world.

A web server on the inside world that displays statistics.

An NTP server that keeps the time up to date.

A configurator page that lets users configure ip blocks to be tracked
separately (unmetered streaming video from the service provider for
instance).

A NAT-like interface that can count packets at a variety of
resolutions.  Total packets through would be the main one, but what
about attacks on peoples homes where you send a large amount of
traffic at an IP address to raise their bill?  If that was detected
and listed as a separate line item it could be useful.  In general,
the more data a person can store about their own traffic the more
useful it would be (I'm sure law enforcement would agree on this
point).

It would need a good robust data storage system internally, and a way
to automatically synchronize the data into a machine on the inside
world for backup purposes.

Obviously if someone implements this you should send me some of the
money you make from my idea!

  [ Actually, much of this functionality already exists in, or
    could be added to, somewhat higher-end commodity cable/DSL
    modem/routers.

    But what happens if a subscriber's locally gathered usage
    statistics turn out to be at wide variance from the ISP's
    official figures?  Then the real fun begins.

--
-- Schlake