From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of
Bob Frankston
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:10
To: 'Barry Gold'; 'nnsquad'
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Cancelling Nexus One triggers TWO "early
termination fees"?

This is why I say that price is a story you tell. The goal is to charge
enough to cover the costs (and the rest is gravy). There isn't simple
mapping of price to the cost of a given element. You use an accounting model
in an attempt to figure out what you need to charge based on guesses about
variable costs, market size and external value.

What makes this work in the real world is effective competition and some
degree of transparency which allow pushback. You also have the problem of
elements which are not valuable in and of themselves and thus a funded as
cost centers or infrastructure in order to enable other activities.

The problem is that in the current system we have silos which own the value
chain and treat users as hostages to prevent churn. If we have to patch it
without fixing the larger dysfunction treating it as a loan at least gives
some transparency and allows for make/buy decisions.

But we do have an effective solution (as I argue in http://rmf.vc/?n=UAC) -
decouple the transport from the services. We could still get subsidies just
as GM created GMAC to finance cars (but then seems to have decided to
finance everything). We would also get far better devices instead having
them limited by the needs of a carriers.

Remember that the current system has other collateral damage - my Nexus
cannot take advantage of ATT or Verizon or Sprint towers in the US.  The
termination fees are just one part of the problem.

Having a common transport also removes the problem of churn - you don't have
to switch carriers just to get a new feature or different coverage.

    [ Technical correction: The Nexus One can indeed home or roam to
      AT&T, but in EDGE mode.  In 3G mode domestically the phone is
      restricted to T-Mobile due to band layouts.

      It's certainly true that most of the world must chuckle
      at the twisted evolution of U.S. cellular, particularly the
      GSM/CDMA dichotomy (though from a historical standpoint, it's
      not difficult to understand why it occurred).

      History matters.  In fact, history -- the existing structures
      of Internet infrastructure, ownerships, laws, court rulings,
      and so on, are what I believe makes Bob's "Ambient Connectivity"
      concept so problematic as a general form solution in the real
      world today.

      True, if we could wipe the slate clean and start all over the
      odds are we'd do Internet infrastructure differently based on
      what we know now.  But we can't do that, and Internet users have
      important short- and medium-term concerns that Bob seems all too
      willing to dismiss in preference for a more "blue sky" long-term
      vision.

      And I have yet, for example, to understand what incentives his
      plans would offer the municipalities that would need to be so
      directly involved in Internet operations, when so many are
      struggling at this time to even provide basic life-critical
      services to their residents.  That's not to say that some cities
      won't want to go ahead, and more power to them if they feel
      they can make it work.  But for most of us, holding our
      breaths for this would likely not be a great idea.