[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] Internet security flaw exposes private data

This is what I was thinking =E2=80=93 especially if the carriers use =
proxies and reuse IP addresses per session. This is one reason we need =
protocols based on persistent relationships between end points rather =
than transient identifiers such as an IP address. Especially that 32 bit =
address which was obviously too small even then =E2=80=93 thus forcing =
reuse.

=20

Of course in the 70=E2=80=99s the IP address wasn=E2=80=99t considered =
transient because computers didn=E2=80=99t move around much.

=20

Today we pile a whole set of agendas on the =E2=80=9Cmobile =
Internet=E2=80=9D as if it were fundamentally different and mainly about =
mobile commerce. We need to recognize that untethering tests the =
1970=E2=80=99s design point and requires we think of end points as =
applications rather than fixed places.

   [ At least we've mostly gotten past the stage where https:  was
     only between the mobile proxy and Web servers when mobile users
     connected to "secure" Web sites -- with all data passing in the
     clear through the proxy.  But I agree, the manner in which mobile
     services have typically been layered on top of existing basic
     Internet services is suboptimal in several key aspects.

     However, the existing Internet environment represents an enormous
     edifice, and while I think it's grand to consider the long-term
     visions pointing at significantly major paradigm changes, I also
     feel that the likely path to get there (when we're talking about
     Internet infrastructure) will usually be gradual and
     evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.  So consideration of the
     long term is excellent, but it's essential that we work on the
     short and medium term as well.

=20

=20