[ NNSquad ] SSL would prevent it, Re: [IP] Internet security flaw exposes private data

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:38:36 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: READ   SSL would prevent it, Re: [IP] Internet security flaw exposes
	private data
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed@reed.com>
Date: January 18, 2010 11:16:30 AM EST
To: dave@farber.net
Cc: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: Re: re SSL would prevent it, Re: [IP] Internet security flaw exposes private data

Re: SSL security: I have been studying man-in-the-middle setups on various Internet Access Providers for the past 6 months, as well as setups that seem to be deployed by hackers pretending to offer "free Internet" in locations where hotspots ought to be (e.g. outside hotels, using SSIDs that appear to guests to be hotel-based WiFi).

There are a variety of ways to set up a difficult-to-detect spoof of a site normally protected by HTTPS:.

The easiest one is that "half SSL".   This appears to be in use by some I have discovered:

1. Intercept connections to http://foo.company.com (which normally redirects you on that page or a later one to an https: secure connection).   Do this as if the person connecting were originating the connection from the "middlebox" where the interception is carried out.  Substitute (textually) for all references to "https:" in the text returned the characters "http:", and continue to intercept all traffic to "company.com" as a man-in-the-middle.

2. Remember the URIs that were supposed to be accessed over https:, and whenever you see those URIs, substitute https: for http: (i.e. originate the SSL connection from the "middlebox" rather than the end user.)

Voila: from the user's point of view, the only difference is that he is using cleartext over http, rather than ciphertext over https for ALL of his connections.   The middlebox, however, makes it look to "company.com" as if the user is completely protected when his password is sent.   The only thing the user might notice is that his/her browser doesn't tell him/her that it it using https: for its accesses.   In the case of AJAX-based UIs in the browser, the use of https is not terribly obvious anyway, so the user doesn't see that it is not used.

This is not the only SSL-piercing man-in-the-middle attack I have seen by apparently "legitimate" access providers, including ones operated by quite large (F500) companies, universities, and state agencies.

This is not the "decrypt SSL" type of attack indicated by Christian Huitema.  It is far easier.  Easy to deploy as part of a "DPI" service, in fact.   One wonders whether DPI services will offer this as a way to "monetize" ISP services.

Application of "man-in-the middle attack" technology for commercial purposes is quite tempting: one merely needs to consider Phorm and NebuAd's claims that they were doing good by reading everything transmitted by each user on their customers' networks.  Why not snoop into SSL if your purposes are "right" and the techniques are easy?