[ NNSquad ] FW: [IP] AT&T forcing data plan changes

From: Bob Frankston [mailto:bob2-39@bobf.frankston.com]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 14:47
To: dave@farber.net; ip
Cc: Chris Kantarjiev
Subject: RE: [IP] AT&T forcing data plan changes

Counting bits is so easy that even a phone company can do it – if they force you to go via their billing towers and they do. They also get the identifiers for your phone and look it up in their database to determine what device it is. It is not your phone – it is their phone explicitly and intentionally designed to disclose a lot of information about you. Even if you thought you bought it – you bought a phone vetted by the carriers. It has one and only one purpose – to serve the needs of ARPU.

ATT seems to be getting more aggressive on this. I wrote about my recent experience in http://www.nnsquad.org/archives/nnsquad/msg02462.html. I don’t know if they’ve changed policy since but old PDA plans were grandfathered.  Perhaps the difference is that I don’t seem to have a data plan but it’s very hard to figure out what is going on using their site – talking telegraph companies billing skills are circa 1860.

In looking at the prices I noticed they have been jacked way up with $20/month for unlimited SMS and $50/month for a PDA bundle that ATT recommends (surprise surprise).

The continuing question is how these relics are able to so flagrantly defy Moore’s law. It’s as if Intel sped up the processor but made you share it among more users at a higher cost each year because we’ve been conned into thinking that computing is expensive and bits are scarce. After all if you  use up the ones and zeros we’d be in deep trouble. Why do we still believe the people who claimed Hush-A-Phone would be the end of civilization?

PS: You’ll only be getting Edge not 3G using an ATT SIM on a T-Mobile device – why not just switch to T-Mobile and save money?