[ NNSquad ] Re: Roundup of arguments at today's Google Books Settlement Hearing

I'd rather see this beast stalled or failed, and then some other
deep pocketed search engine proceed audaciously to do exactly the
same thing (Bing?), start scanning books exactly the way Google
started out doing.

The spectacle that would ensue then ought to provoke our useless
public representatives/legislators to take up the task of devising
an appropriate statutory regime, rather than letting the policy be
set by this sort of settlement-driven course of operation.

Seth

    [ Microsoft already abandoned their book scanning project.  It's
      unlikely -- given their corporate sensibilities -- that they'll
      return anytime soon to scanning books that don't have immediate
      high profit potential.  The requirement for willingness to
      devote major resources to scanning, even though much of what
      would be scanned will have limited if any direct benefit to the
      bottom line, requires a long-term perspective that is not
      characteristic of many large firms these days.

      And in my opinion, waiting for legislators around the world to
      appropriately tackle this issue -- given their track records
      overall -- is a receipe for lots of decaying books to further
      their march toward becoming inaccessible dust.