From: Dave Farber [mailto:dave@farber.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:31
To: ip
Subject: [IP] ] Laptops in the classroom -- a reverse of direction

Anyone care to estimate time to jailbreak the ipad.  djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845@aquick.org>
Date: March 9, 2010 10:42:59 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Cc: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

For IP, if you wish:

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:33:42AM -0500, David Farber wrote:
[...]

The Post carries a story this morning about the trend to ban laptops

in the classroom.  Faculty who used to welcome laptops now banning

them because multitasking students don't pay full attention to the

discussion.  This is a possibility, I audited Julie Cohen's

copyright law class at Georgetown back in 2006 and although some

students seems to be taking noted intensively, I was struck by the

number of students who were using their laptops for other tasks. One

young man sitting in front of me spent my of the class writing for

his election blog.

[...]

This seems like a perfect for the iPad and other devices that don't
"support" user multitasking. It seems a very short stretch to simply
disable the home button on the iPad until the teacher code is typed
in, allowing teachers to load up an application relevant to the class
and not permitting students access to anything else while the class is
going on.

--
               - Adam

--
** I design intricate-yet-elegant processes for user and machine problems.
** Custom development project broken? Contact me, I can help.

[ http://workstuff.tumblr.com ] ........... Technology Blog
[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Personal Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos