[ NNSquad ] FiOS buildout is dying

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 03:51:23 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] FiOS buildout is dying
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: March 11, 2010 9:49:23 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] FiOS buildout is dying

FiOS buildout is dying

[Commentary] Verizon is changing. The company has canceled planned FiOS deployments for all new territories. Instead, Verizon "will now focus on installing its network and gaining market share within the areas where it already has agreements."

Verizon has buildout commitments to New York and other cities that will keep some crews working, but had already suggested they might cut FiOS builds by 2/3rds in 2011. This is now a further cutback, canceling areas that for years they had been promising to serve. Verizon's Harry Mitchell sends their perspective. "The bottom line is that Verizon said in 2004 we'd build to pass about 18 million homes by year-end 2010, and we're on track to do that with the franchises we currently have. Of course, we will also meet any buildout commitments we made in individual jurisdictions beyond 2010."

Verizon smells incentives in the National Broadband Plan and ISPs are cutting back their own investment and then demanding the government pay them instead. 2009 was almost certainly the worst year in a decade for expanding broadband in the U.S. Company after company cancelled firm plans waiting for the government to pay them for what they intended to do without subsidy.

<http://fastnetnews.com/dslprime/42-d/2637-fios-buildout-is-dying>

Courtesy of the Benton Foundation <http://www.benton.org>RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>