[ NNSquad ] Re: ICANN actions regarding ex-ex-ex top-level domain

Hi Lauren,

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> wrote:

> ICANN is just concluding a meeting in Nairobi - (Yeah, Nairobi!

We wrapped up here in Nairobi about 8 hours ago, the Board made some
excellent decisions about scaling the root slowly.

ICANN meetings have always been rotated amongst the 5 regions.  East
Africa has many folk deeply engaged in Internet Governance processes.
This meeting exponentially expanded that pool of interest. That was a
very good thing indeed.  Certainly reason enough to hold a meeting
here.  Much more outreach should/could be done to the developing
world, but funding is limited.

> Whatever happened to videoconferencing to save a few bucks?

In fact almost all the registries and registrars did that, they set up
a special remote site in Reston VA.  The local hosts were not best
pleased that folk stayed home due to security fears (it was a highly
secure venue, probably the most secured in ICANN history)

  We have
> all this great Internet technology and ... oh well ...)

We had the most bandwidth in ICANN meeting history as well.

> Readers will remember that I am strongly opposed to the creation
> of an ex-ex-ex TLD:

It wasn't created, there will be one more round of comments (at least)
before .xxx can be considered.

The bottom line here is that the PERCEPTION amongst the majority of
the community is that the Board approved .xxx, then changed their mind
due to (inter)governmental pressure.  This doesn't sit well with most
folk, especially going forward with new gTLDs.  Makes ppl uncertain
about whether or not processes will be followed.

--
Cheers,

McTim