[ NNSquad ] Re: Government webpage for every citizen in the race to create a paperless society

I notice that the main concern expressed in the original post is cost, =
not
anything philosophical.

Lauren, good point about this idea of the Internet being only a =
privilege.

Notice also the single identifier that you will use for all your
transactions and relationships. What happened to the idea of being able =
reinvent yourself and move on? This ability has been cited as one of the
features of the American frontier society. Will you every be able to =
move
beyond a bankruptcy -- whether or not it was your "fault". I put fault =
in
quotes to emphasize that the concept itself is wrapped in a moralistic
agenda. If you buy a house a year into a bubble is it your fault that =
you
paid the market price?

On a related point, I see advertisements on TV for "verification" =
services
that you can use to check out your date and your plumber. Will an arrest =
in
your past, not a conviction but an arrest, disqualify you for a job or =
date?

=20

   [ We must come to terms with the fact that Internet access is no
     longer a mere "frill" to deal with many aspects of the world
     effectively.  Governments cannot logically treat Internet access
     as a privilege to be revoked, at the same time that they push
     their citizens and other residents to use the Net for routine
     functions!  Plus as you imply, government services via unified
     Internet IDs could be subverted in some pretty horrific ways by
     bad players (inside or outside of government), and at the very
     least could be used to try stamp out legitimate anonymous speech
     in various key contexts.