[ NNSquad ] AT&T: FCC has never had regulatory power over broadband

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:58:38 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] AT&T: FCC has never had regulatory power over broadband
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: April 12, 2010 2:44:14 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>

AT&T: FCC has never had regulatory power over broadband
The Hill
By Kim Hart

AT&T lobbyist Hank Hultquist disputes that the FCC ever had the authority over broadband that it seeks today.

His comments in a blog post fuel the fast-growing fight over whether the FCC can or should reclassify broadband as a "Title II" service, rather than the "Title I" service it is today. The D.C. Circuit clearly said last week that the FCC cannot impose net neutrality rules with the current classification.

A host of legal experts and lobbyists have made the case that the FCC should be able to revert back to Title II, since the agency used to have regulatory authority over DSL and other broadband services until 2002, when they were reclassified as Title I.

<http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/91603-atat-fcc-has-never-had-regulatory-power-over-broadband>RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>