[ NNSquad ] Re: thoughts on copyright in the digital world

>Message: 9

>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:56:49 -0700

>From: Barry Gold <BarryDGold@ca.rr.com>

>Subject: [ NNSquad ]  thoughts on copyright in the digital world

>To: nnsquad <nnsquad@nnsquad.org>

> These are just two of the areas where traditional copyright rules don't match the realities of computer processing.  I'm sure you can think of others.

Now just imagine what is coming, when students no longer carry bags full of books, but all of their textbooks come loaded on an iPad or their laptop? The possibilities are, well, almost endless for copying, manipulation, distribution.

'Seton Hill University, George Fox University and Abilene Christian University each pre-ordered bundles of iPads — sight unseen — with plans to experiment with how the tablet could change classroom learning. In interviews with Wired.com just prior to the iPad’s launch last week, officials from each university saw the iPad as having potential to render printed textbooks obsolete.'

'“Those big, heavy textbooks that kids go around with in their backpacks are going to be a thing of the past,” said Mary Ann Gawelek, vice president of academic affairs at Seton Hill, which is giving iPads to its 2,100 students and 300 faculty members beginning this fall. “We think it’s leading to something that’s going to provide a better learning environment for all of our students. We’re hoping that faculty will be able to use more of a variety of textbooks because textbooks will be a little bit less expensive.”'

'One hitch in the universities’ plans is that Apple has not inked deals with any textbook publishers to bring their offerings to the iPad’s iBooks store. So far Apple and publishers have only formed partnerships around e-books for fiction and nonfiction titles, like those available for the Kindle.'

'For textbooks, students can currently access about 10,000 e-textbooks through a third-party company called CourseSmart, which includes titles from the five biggest textbook publishers. CourseSmart is a subscription-based service that charges a fee for students to access e-textbooks of their choice for a limited time. The company has already announced an iPad app…'

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/ipad-textbooks/

>(+) According to GameStation, 88% of users don't even skim the EULAs.

I have a ritual whenever I install a new Windows machine. When I get to the EULA, I simple chant "Yes, Bill Gates may have my firstborn", and I click continue, without bothering to read the EULA.

'On April Fool's day, the online game store Gamestation.co.uk added language to its clickthrough license that asked customers to surrender their immortal souls, though it offered a checkbox to opt out if you wanted to keep yours. 7,500 customers did not check the box.'

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/16/video-game-shoppers.html

Ron.

Ronald D. Edge

Director of Information Services

Indiana University Athletics

1001 East 17th St  Bloomington , IN 47408

812-855-9010  edge@indiana.edu

http://iuhoosiers.com

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going,

because you might not get there."

 “When you come to the fork in the road, take it”

--Yogi Berra