[ NNSquad ] Re: iPad 3G video downscaled, blocked over AT&T 3G network, vis-a-vis Wi-Fi

Each YouTube 1080P HD stream takes 3.75 Mbps.  I don't think it's reasonable
to expect that to work on any mobile network.  It would take just a few of
these streams to saturate a cell.

  [ First, why assume we're always starting from a 1080p stream?  I
    haven't seen any real details about the extent to which YouTube
    streams are being scaled down for iPad on AT&T 3G.  For all we
    know at this point, even much more modest streams that max out at
    720p, 480p, or 360p are being downscaled even lower.  Remember,
    the article notes that iTunes video previews apparently are not
    being downscaled to the (seriously pixelated) level that the HD
    trailer in the example appears to be.  In fact, that image -- for
    whatever it's worth since it's only one data point -- is massively
    worse than the standard quality video I get on my Android phone
    from YouTube on 3G, regardless of videos' "full-speed" coding
    rates.

iPad 3G video downscaled, blocked over AT&T 3G network, vis-a-vis Wi-Fi

http://bit.ly/9grKZk  (iLounge)