[ NNSquad ] Re: Electrical Analogy for Peak-Demand Pricing

Where I live in rural France, EDF offers home electrical service differentiated along two dimensions: peak usage and usage management.

The "peak usage" dimension is simple: you pay a higher subscription base for an installation allowing higher amperage.

"Usage management" gives three different usage plans.

Under one plan you pay a flat rate per KWh.

Under another plan, you pay one rate for usage at the higher-use periods 07:00-12:00 and 14:30-00:30, and a lower rate for the off-periods 12:00-14:30 and 00:30-07:00. (We, for instance, run our water heater and dishwasher overnight.)

Under the final type you pay one rate most of the time, but on certain entire days chosen by EDF -- and announced a few days beforehand -- you pay a much higher rate.

I offer these to add to the analogical pool of thinking about consumer network pricing. Here (rural France) our bandwidth is limited, and I'm patient enough to postpone any bandwidth-heavier usage until I've done the much more important things like e-mail and viewing xkcd and NNSquad -- such as letting a big file transfer run at night when it doesn't compete with daytime use. If my ISP, France Telecom, offered different transparent, open, and usable pricing plans that matched our idea of how to use the net for our purposes, I'd consider that sensible.

We're not demanding realtime HD television, though.

Pete