[ NNSquad ] Complaining to me already about YouTube "unlisted" videos

Well.  That didn't take long.  I'm already getting people sending me
notes with their speculative concerns about the newly announced
YouTube "unlisted" videos -- a video sharing option that I think is
a great idea (I've definitely missed having it several times in the
past).

Complaints I've received so far:

  - Unlisted videos will only stay "unlisted" if their URLs are not
    placed on public Web pages where they may be spidered by search
    engines.

    Answer: So?  Just like an unlisted phone number.  Ever notice how
    you give them to one company and suddenly all sorts of people end
    up with them?  Unlisted "anythings" only stay unlisted if you use
    care where you share them.  Google *explicitly* and clearly notes
    this issue in details of the "Learn More" links associated with
    the option.

  - Unlisted videos will be used for immoral or illegal purposes

    Answer: You still need a Google or YouTube account to create and
    upload videos.  Users accessing "unlisted" videos will presumably
    be leaving behind the same IP address information as they would
    when accessing public videos.  Cases of abuse can still be dealt
    with appropriately.

    If the concern is that unlisted videos make it harder for
    unaffiliated third parties to browse around looking for
    "offending" materials (e.g. among YouTube public videos), this may
    be true, but the same could be said of any of the vast number of
    publicly accessible file sharing sites.  The benefits of unlisted
    YouTube videos (and open file sharing in general) for legitimate
    purposes far outweigh the risks in a free society that cherishes
    civil liberties.  That's us, right?

  - Unlisted videos will not be subject to normal YouTube copyright checks

    Answer: I have no evidence at this time to support the assertion
    that YouTube's standard "fingerprinting" system for content owners
    will not apply to unlisted videos.  Given how easily an "unlisted"
    URL could become a very public URL either accidentally or
    purposely -- and could be viewed by vast numbers of persons who
    know the URL in any case -- applying the same content rules would
    seem to be the logical path.  If I learn anything to contradict
    my assumption on this score I'll pass it along of course.

Keep in mind that in reality, unlisted videos can be viewed as a
convenient extension of the long existing "private video" function in
YouTube, which has generally not been controversial.  While private
videos require a Google/YouTube login to access, and only allow a
limited number of accounts to access any given private video, anyone
could easily create account(s) specifically for the purpose of sharing
such private videos and then share those accounts among many users.

The practical effect of the new "unlisted" option for YouTube videos
is basically to make the "non-public video" function less complicated
to use, but the underlying dynamics of public vs. non-public YouTube
videos stay essentially the same and do not introduce new risks, in my
opinion.