[ NNSquad ] FCC Chairman seeks to "reassure" cable industry at annual meeting today

FCC Chairman seeks to "reassure" cable industry at annual
meeting today

http://bit.ly/arHtaX  (Wall Street Journal)

This is a live blogging transcript of Chairman Julius Genachowski's
Q&A at the annual cable association meeting today.  Of particular note
is a comment from cable-association president Kyle McSlarrow, who --
while specifically speaking of Google -- suggested that "a search
algorithm is just a fancy name for discrimination."

Presumably he's using the term "discrimination" as a synonym for
unfair bias.  At least as far as Google is concerned, his
assertion is balderdash.

Organizing information to make it useful -- rather than a random
hodgepodge -- means making decisions about orderings and priorities.

Unfair bias in this context suggests a purposeful and directed attempt
to unfairly favor specific parties at the expense of other parties.
Unfair bias is not invoked merely by prioritizing data (e.g. organic
search results) according to carefully drawn and tuned, fair criteria.

I have yet to have presented to me a *single* instance of Google
natural search results that demonstrate unfair bias upon
investigation.

Apparently the anti-neutrality Big Lie campaign to divert
attention from dominant ISP abuses continues unabated.

What a shame.