[ NNSquad ] Re: Lawsuits over Web site comments on the increase

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
Lawsuits over Web site comments on the increase

http://bit.ly/am4pFO (Daily News)

I don't think there's anything surprising here. Comments like "racist" "anti-semitic", and "cyber-stalker" are not mere "opinions", nor IMHO is Gibson a public figure. And I don't see any reason why the rules should be any different on the internet than anywhere else(*). The comments cited sound defamatory to me, and if Swingle cannot provide facts to prove them true (by preponderance of evidence) then he should expect to pay damages -- just as if he had published those same comments in a newspaper or said them on television.

Now... if Swingle wants to accuse Gibson of things that he _has_ done (e.g., get Swingle's comments removed), then that's fine. But "racist" etc. seem out-of-line to me.

Oh, and btw, I thought Craigslist was a place for people offering goods and services to connect with those who want those goods/services. So if my understanding is correct, then Swingle's comments _were_ out of place and _should_ have been flagged and removed.

(*) This is the converse of a principle we have tried to enunciate here: that sexual or other offensive speech should have the same protection on the internet as it does in print.