[ NNSquad ] Re: ICANN Moves Forward with Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex, while ICM CEO Plans for Big Bucks and Censorship

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
I believe that if dot-ex-ex-ex is "finally" approved, we can expect
that:

(a) Dot-ex-ex-ex blocking will become essentially a default condition
    for much of the Internet, enforced by governments, organizations, and
    many ISPs in various ways.

(b) Various governments will attempt to mandate that "adult
    entertainment" sites sign up in and/or move totally to dot-ex-ex-ex
    (likely what ICM is actually hoping for).

(c) A flurry of lawsuits on all sides will be forthcoming.

(d) Dot-ex-ex-ex will embolden legislative efforts to force other
    categories of inconvenient or "undesirable" Internet speech and
    materials into their own more easily blocked TLDs and labeling
    regimes.

Lauren has summed up the downside of dot-ex-ex-ex quite well. But I believe there is an upside as well -- dot.ex-ex-ex provides the Internet equivalent of a Rieperbahn -- a place where everybody knows to look for explicit s-x-related material. And therefore it may become a desireable location for some s-x-themed sites simply _because_ of that concentration -- and/or as an undesirable location for the reasons Lauren cited.

While I don't disagree with what Lauren said, I think that dot-ex-ex-ex is not _entirely_ a bad idea.