[ NNSquad ] Re: Why it's hard to hack the power grid, and why NSA is the wrong choice to protect it

As Bob has already shown, it's not "broadband" that is the issue.

Forget the enormous costs ($440/home) shown in the IEEE article.

A much greater issue is ownership, control, and boundaries (which come
up between utility/consumer and, in this mode, utility/telco).  Any
system operated by a 3rd party has implications for predictability and
control.  SLAs are fine, but I know of a smart metering system that
failed because the carrier found the penalty lower than the profit
margin on sending SMSs (text messages) for paying (non-negotiated
bulk) consumers.

Meter reading is fine - you can wait, but real-time and *control*
applications over WiMax or any other carrier, shared network? One has
to think carefully.

Rahul