[ NNSquad ] Re: Irish Times: "A modest proposal on internet neutrality"

Permitting operators to offer Differentiated Services *could* lead to bad consequences, and forbidding them from offering DiffServ *could also* lead to bad consequences, so who's to say, a priori, that this practice should be banned? It's backward to only look at the downsides of contemporary and future networking practices without considering the upsides.

I think this is why the Google-Verizon proposal took a somewhat nuanced view of the matter, establishing a rebuttable presumption that they should not be allowed. Of course, the proposal was flawed in that it was silent on how one goes about overcoming the presumption in a process of review which is strictly ex post and case-by-case; rebuttable presumptions are more suitable for ex ante procedures where the party wishing to offer the service can have it approved in advance rather than make and investment risk a fine in order to face the opportunity to have this service declared OK by the "mother-may-I" procedure.

It seems to me that any proposal that effectively bans the implementation of  RFCs (in this case, RFCs 2474, 2475, and all the others related to DiffServ and MPLS) is a non-starter.

RB