[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] VZ Google Announcement worth reading -- and worth challenging

The problem is the word "Broadband". What does it mean? It's a word that lack sufficient specificity to define policy. It simply makes the semantic baggage of the distant past the framing.

I see “broadband” as a term for a business model in which you fund infrastructure by selling services. If people get enough bits they can do their own services and you lose service revenue but you don't make it up in bit revenue because, as with milk, with too many bits price drops below cost. And bits aren’t even consumed.

It’s very simple. Broadband is the problem not the solution.

Engineering expertise is necessary but not sufficient because it's the definition of the problem that's at issue. Once you've accepted the idea of broadband the game is over. As I’ve noted on this list, when I was at Microsoft I decoupled the home network from the telecom business model by making it DIY and thwarting practices such as a monthly fee each device. In doing so I played a key role in making “broadband” what it is today. Can I get a chance to explain to the group how and why it worked it turned out so well and why today’s broadband is at odds with “more Internet?

We must remember that the Internet was, in part, designed to work around the restrictions of telecom. I worry that we are treating these work-arounds as necessary architecture and missing the point of the Internet.

No need to repeat what I've said in:

·         http://rmf.vc/?n=BroadbandInternet – the problem with “broadband” as a framing.

·         http://rmf.vc/?N=Unbaked – understanding why we shouldn’t bake in current assumptions and management practices. That seems to be what’s happening with the incumbents (and Google, as a CDN, is an incumbent) are doing.

·         http://rmf.vc/?N=NNManagementNot –problems with handing our future to network managers.

·         http://rmf.vc/?n=AssuringScarcity – why the current business model (in this particular case cellular) must limit the capacity in order to sustain the business model.

·         http://rmf.vc/?n=UAC – Ambient Connectivity as a new paradigm

Etc.

Where do we get the great engineering that challenges the statement of the problem rather than meekly taking orders?