[ NNSquad ] QoS vs. Neutrality -- the crux of the matter

As Dave notes below  if we have a network that only know about bits (and
packets) then we have inherent neutrality. This is a feature not a bug and
goes to the heart of concept of the Internet vs. telecom.

If we need operators to second guess what we are doing then we can't have
neutrality. At best we can have "fair" sharing of the remaining scarcity. No
wonder this is a core issue.

Instead of implicitly assuming that we know what QoS is we can go for a
market-based approach by recognizing that QoS is not fundamental. We can
then have a company like Akamai offer its own kind of quality as an
application. If QoS is indeed necessary for some applications then they
should have the option of paying for a special network and we should have
the option of not paying for it.

First we need to get past the notion that QoS is necessary and fundamental.
The presumption that QoS is necessary and that service must be baked into
the network is the business model of telecom. If we could use raw bits then
we'd need a different business model -- infrastructure.

QoS is not fundamental. All the technology of QoS is atop a physical system
that isn't inherently reliable. We gain reliability at the link layer with
error correcting codes, over-provisioning, retries and other tricks. Note
you can both over-provision and under-provision as in the case of assuring
more-than-enough capacity for a 56Kbps audio path at the physical layer and
then throttling it to 56Kbps and denying us the ability to use the rest of
the capacity (and further innovation).

By exposing the native best efforts capabilities we can discover what is
possible. With protocols like TCP we can define our own quality edge-to-edge
or can choose UDP and other measures of quality. It's a bit more subtle as I
explain in http://rmf.vc/?n=IPPvD (Promises vs. Discovery).

Rather than fighting for "network neutrality" we should be fighting for the
inherent neutrality of bits and for access to the abundance latent in the
physical infrastructure.

More on baking in http://rmf.vc/?n=unbaked.