[ NNSquad ] "Opting out of behavioral ad tracking may get easier" (and do-not-track)

"Opting out of behavioral ad tracking may get easier" (and do-not-track)

   "A number of major advertising associations have banded together to
    announce a self-regulatory program that would allow users to opt out
    of ad tracking. The program revolves around the awkwardly named
    'Advertising Option Icon'-an icon that websites could place on their
    site that would allow users to get more information on why they're
    being targeted for ads and let them control their data collection."

http://bit.ly/cYhz7x  (ars technica)

 - - -

This would appear to be an attempt to hold off generally ill-advised
regulatory and legislative bans (and related proposed broad "opt-in"
requirements) associated with such ads.

Given the level of hysteria among those parties calling for what I
consider to be an impractical "do not track" list (a list that I
believe would cause considerable collateral damage as well), I have my
doubts that this program will be successful at preventing some
potentially very bad legislative and regulatory decisions.

Still, the program is worth a try.

I spoke about this issue briefly on "Coast to Coast AM" (late September)
in this segment: http://bit.ly/ccTTRx (YouTube [audio only])

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
http://www.vortex.com/lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR (People For Internet Responsibility): http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad (Network Neutrality Squad): http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP (Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance):
   http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz