[ NNSquad ] Censoring the Net, Barry Schuler's Synapsis, etc.

The "what if" game is always amusing, but it's also tricky to second
guess history.  What if the Internet had stronger authentication from
the beginning?  A valid question.  But so is "what if the Internet
had strong end-to-end encryption from the beginning?"  Or we might
ask, what if everyone were required to have cameras mounted in every
room of their houses to be enabled by the government on demand?

The point is, the what-ifs get us nowhere now beyond an intellectual
exercise.

The ARPANET/Internet is in a very real way an experiment that never
ended, and then proceeded to "take over the world," despite the best
laid plans of bureaucrats and committees.

Various of the issues we deal with today, including IPv4 address
exhaustion (Vint gallantly takes responsibility for setting the
critical address length to what seemed a completely reasonable value
at the time), to spam (I remember MSGGROUP discussions that explicitly
discounted this possibility) relate directly to our early experimental
orientations.

I'm reminded of a James Stewart line from the 1965 film "Flight of the
Phoenix":  "Time was you could take real pride, in just *getting
there* ..."  And "getting there" -- reliably -- was a primary focus in
early networking.

But beyond this, it is not at all clear that a more "buttoned down"
network environment of the sort telephone companies, broadcasters, and
various others were envisioning at the time would have led to the
range of services we enjoy today (most of them "free" from the user
standpoint, in a monetary sense at least).

The "Telefuture" video from 1980 that I posted a few days ago
( http://bit.ly/bJWGia [Lauren's Blog] ) gives some flavor of what
the big players at the time had in mind.

In any case, as Barry points out, censorship on the Internet is in
many ways a misnomer.  To the extent that the Wikileaks release is
considered a "bad thing" (and that itself is arguable), no effective
means of censoring it, once it reached the Net, is possible.  So what
we have instead is people attempting to blame the Internet for appears
to have been a serious breach of military security -- at the point where
those documents originally moved into "unauthorized" hands.

Similarly, we have people attempting to blame the Net for privacy
failures, journalism standards, and everything else short of bedbugs.
But many of us would argue that some companies are already too happy
to hand over personal information about Net users, and a range of
journalistic quality standards has existed throughout time.  The term
"yellow journalism" dates to the late 19th century.

Blaming technology for failures in human behavior is an old game,
particularly for those who feel they're losing traditional forms of
control due to technological changes -- governments especially tend
to take this tack.

So anytime someone tells you that fundamental changes are needed in
the way the Internet works, it would be wise to consider who the real
resulting winners and losers would be, and to what extent such changes
would have collateral effects that we'd come to regret.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
http://www.vortex.com/lauren
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR (People For Internet Responsibility): http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad (Network Neutrality Squad): http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP (Global Coalition for Transparent Internet Performance):
   http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum: http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz

 - - -