[ NNSquad ] Re: COICA Kills Free Speech: No More RBJunk Forum?

Is it too much to ask the critics of COICA to please read the bill? It has nothing to do with fair use, incidental inclusion of copyrighted material on sites like YouTube, or people selling their own content over the Internet.

COICA is about sites that exist for the *sole purpose of selling copyrighted material without a license*. To qualify for COICA sanctions, you need to have a site that *sells downloads that you're not legally allowed to sell*, and you have to refuse to respond to take-down notices. Chris Pratt's site is not remotely in the crosshairs of COICA or anywhere close.

If the provisions of the bill are too loose, then by all means tighten them up, but drop the pretense that COICA is some sort of open-ended mandate for law enforcement to censor any site they don't like.

Did any of the readers of this list hear Jon Stewart's comments at his rally yesterday? This is exactly the kind of irresponsible, broad-brush fear mongering that he was criticizing.

Be reasonable.

RB

[ Richard, I suspect Jon Stewart might object to your rather
  ham-handed attempt at co-opting his philosophy, but hey, whatever
  makes you tingle.

  More to the issue at hand, it's obvious that you must be reading
  an entirely different piece of legislation than the COICA that I've
  seen.  EFF's analysis is particularly cogent:

  http://bit.ly/9QUjrb  (EFF)

Anyway, the bill I've read -- at least to my level of understanding -- doesn't restrict its provisions to sites that *sell* infringing materials.

  The legislation does include provisions attempting to cut off
  revenue sources (including ads) to infringing sites, but if you
  provide materials that are deemed infringing by the nebulous
  provisions of the legislation, you're a target, even if you never
  ask for or receive one thin dime.

  In fact, COICA appears to expand its coverage to include sites that
  do not provide "infringing" materials at all, but that rather focus
  on merely providing links to infringing materials -- again, with
  the definition of "focus" loose enough to drive a truck through.

Particularly fascinating is the tacit admission by the legislation
that unless a site is using a U.S. based domain registrar, there's
not one hell of a lot that the U.S. can do about them if there
aren't financial transactions involved.
But beyond all this, I find the very concept of using the long in
the tooth, largely financially undermined -- I would personally
assert that it is nothing less than corrupt in various ways --
domain name system as a "law enforcement" tool decidedly abhorrent.
Nor is such legislation likely to be particularly effective, given
that sites can still proceed to operate without domain names.

  Of course, the next round of legislation can up the ante.  IP
  addresses can be ordered blocked and proxies shut down, search
  engines could be ordered to remove listings to sites declared to be
  unmutual, illicit, unappreciated, or otherwise not in keeping with
  the social contract of the day.

  Something to look forward to for those who would turn the Internet
  into the ultimate intellectual property walled garden.