[ NNSquad ] Re: [Dewayne-Net] Clearwire in deep financial trouble, may not survive

The question we need to ask is what is Clearwire's business model?

So I went to the website and it said that I did indeed have coverage. In
fact my house is listed as "best" coverage. My neighbors, not so good.

In looking at the plans things are not at all clear -- there is a flurry of
mix and match combinations of services and capabilities hiding behind
marketing terms like 4G and 3G and capped and not capped. It looks as if the
offerings are also being repackaged as Comcast's Internet2Go and Sprint
offerings which are, in turn, repackaged as Virgin Mobile offerings. I have
to choose among a small numbers of devices and services that are based on
the limitations of cell phone technologies.

It's unclear why Clearwire attracted so much funding in the first place. It
looks like the core 4G offering is available only in areas that already
offering many options that are more attractive and have far higher
performance at similar prices and also offer video content, AKA "cable".
HSDPA+ (3G) from others is competitive with the 4G coverage. For 3G others
have a wide selection of devices.

The question is not why Clearwire is in trouble - the question is why they
wouldn't be.

Stepping back -- in order to differentiate themselves they slice and dice
what is a generic bit transport into packages and offerings coupled with
particular hardware needed to connect to their system.

Ultimately we reduce all these offering to bit paths and above a threshold
we have pure commodity offerings which benefit from economy of scale.
Applications that use much of the capacity and need the speed need low cost
bits. Applications that need a few bits may be willing to pay more for the
bits but don't need to given the capacity. So how do you differentiate
yourself other lower prices and more availability (higher expenses)?

With Wi-Fi "tethering" (AKA access point capabilities) cellular providers
can offer these capabilities as incremental offerings and you don't need a
special PC or device.

Obviously investors putting in billions see value here that I don't? I mean
with billions at stake you'd think ... and after that please tell me their
assumptions for other investments in "telecom".