[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] My first week with Google TV

I started to reply with own comments but wound up writing an essay which I just posted.

Google TV itself is nothing new. After all weâve had Media Center on the PC and similar applications on the Mac and Unix. Weâve had Hulu and stand-alone boxes.

But Google does bring something new to the table in bringing a number of skills and relationships together. It also spooks those the traditional TV business types who were experimenting with Hulu and now find events moving far faster than they expected. We need to remember that TV is a business model thatâs not about technology and not about video clips (or programs) in isolation. Itâs an entire ecology.

One surprise today was discovering YouTube âleanbackâ. I havenât had time to play with it much but it seems to be a step towards the âhands offâ model of TV viewing that we are used to in seeing whatâs on rather than having to think about what we want to watch.

The real significance comes when we start to use the large screen TVs as video surfaces in novel ways for rich experiences. We already see a little of this in gaming platforms.

But why stop with TV. Why do we still call connected computing devices cell phones?

First we need to understand what has happened to the world of âdonât change that channelâ. http://rmf.vc/?n=WhatIsTV.