[ NNSquad ] Re: "Is a more expensive Internet a good thing? About Comcast and Level 3"

DaveB - thanks for the numbers the belie Comcast's claims.

So we get back to the basic question -- why do we tolerate a conflict of
interest in which the transport provider and the content provider are the
same company? I'm not sure this even make sense for Comcast -- what happens
with XFinity and NBCU start generating traffic that goes out again?

The Zoom telephone certification problem reminds me of Carterfone. As long
as we have a tightly coupled silo we shouldn't be surprised to see hurdles
to connecting to a silo. We saw a very different situations with 802.11n as
devices were released with early specs. As long as they were clearly marked
the buyers could make their own decisions as to their comfort level with
early releases.

By decoupling the transport from the content we can then have each market
use an appropriate business model. Transport would be infrastructure and
then we could have new innovations in the content business as we see with
Netflix taking advantage (in the positive sense) of available capacity. If
it weren't there it would stay with DVD delivery. Of course that competes
with Comcast's business and, surprise surprise, Comcast happens to find
something wrong in how their Content Delivery Network is used. A CDN bakes
in a purpose..

I could go into detail on all the different aspects but we get back to the
basic problem with the idea that we must by services in order to get fiber
and radios -- more at http://rmf.vc/?n=Demystify where I peek behind the
curtain to debunk they idea that there is anything behind the curtain around
telecom.