[ NNSquad ] Re: Wireless carriers claim it violates their "First Amendment Rights" to warn of overuse

It's quite a stretch to use the First Amendment as an argument for not
informing customers. It makes as much sense as not telling a customer buying
gas that the price for the second ten gallons is doubled. Indeed the
disconnect between cost and price in telecommunications leads to anomalies
cited.

Focusing on wireless I argue that there is a indeed First Amendment issue,
but not one the CTIA wants to talk about. The very idea of licensing radios
goes back to the 1920's when the use of spectrum as a way of segregating
signals was the best idea we had.

Today with our understanding of bits and the Internet it makes no sense to
segregate wired and wireless bits. As Nicholas Negroponte observed we only
need to go wireless to the nearest wire or fiber and then we have
essentially unlimited capacity. While I?m not a lawyer it seems obvious that
if there is a policy that doesn't create scarcity then the restrictions that
give carriers exclusive control over our very means of communicating are
indefensible.

And without such artificial scarcity the need for warnings is moot.

(More in the various essays I've posted most recently
http://rmf.vc/TwitTV2011a.nn)