[ NNSquad ] Blast From the Past: DEC PDP-6 Price List (Feb 1, 1964)

Blast From the Past: DEC PDP-6 Price List (Feb 1, 1964)

http://bit.ly/dV3L1B  (Vortex [pdf])

The Internet might be very different in significant ways -- if it even
existed at all in a recognizable form -- if not for Ken Olsen and DEC.
The PDP-11, Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie's development of UNIX on
the 11, and much of what flowed forth from there (including Linux of
course), can be traced one way or another back to DEC.

The culture at DEC (especially at "The Mill") was similar in many ways
to the enthusiastic energy now seen at Google.  My first ARPANET
system was the PDP-11/45 (ARPANET site 1) at UCLA. I still have all
the manuals, and a number of DECtapes.  Ken Olsen was often referenced
with some glee (and I've publicly noted this quote myself at various
times) for his suggestion that nobody needed a computer in their home.
This is often cited as a lack of vision, but hindsight is always
20/20.  What he accomplished with DEC changed the world -- and very
much for the better.

Rest in peace, Ken.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://bit.ly/lauren-buzz