[ NNSquad ] Re: AT&T imposing DSL and U-verse bandwidth caps, fees for "excess" use

(it's amazing how many lists I'm on would be up in arms by all the top-posting
in these threads. Personally, I'm glad I don't have to wade through all the
old conversations)

Matt, your comparison to water/electric utilities is a straw man at best.
Utilities aren't flat-rate - if I don't use the water or kilowatts I'm not
charged for them.

The problem I see is that caps don't directly address congestion. They
only address usage. One doesn't necessarily lead to the other.

Matt Larsen <lists@manageisp.com> said:

> Paul,
>
> Your observation is only true when the DSL loops are all perfect copper
> back to a central office where it is easy to do upgrades.
>
> In the real world - there is a lot of bad copper out there that won't
> support higher speeds, remote DSLAMs are all over the place and often
> the backhauls to those remote DSLAMs are already close to being maxed
> out.    People getting their broadband from these facilities will be out
> of luck, and disallowing bit caps and reasonable network management will
> make their broadband speeds worse.
>
> I don't expect a refund from the water company or electrical company for
> the "unused portion" of those utilities.   There is no reason to expect
> such a thing from an ISP.
>
> Matt Larsen
> vistabeam.com
>
> On 3/14/2011 2:22 PM, Paul Forbes wrote:
> > It's more a case of profiteering than any real engineering problem
> > that forces Big Telco to charge heavy users more to fund expanding
> > infrastructure.
> > You can bet that they won't be sending refunds for unused portions of
> > bandwidth caps to anyone.

<Rest of thread deleted. If you really need the extra context, see the
 archives>