[ NNSquad ] Prefetch Concerns: New York Times confirms that "free link-views" apply against paywall quota

Prefetch Concerns: New York Times confirms that "free link-views"
apply against paywall quota
http://j.mp/hAGPQ4  (This message in Google Buzz)

 - - -

Reference: Brief Thoughts on "New York Times" Charging (and a
Prediction): http://j.mp/eIMCVS (Lauren's Blog)

 - - -

In a Twitter exchange earlier today, the New York Times confirmed to
me that "free link-views" of NYTimes pages (that is, views that will
not be blocked since they are linked from non-NYTimes sites, even if
your non-subscriber "free" non-link quota [e.g. 20] has been exceeded,
*will* apply against the free quota under their new paywall system.

So, for example, if your browser automatically pre-fetches New York
Times articles in the background via links from a non-New York Times
page that you visit -- even if you never actually look at those
pre-fetched pages -- each of those pre-fetches may (apparently,
based on what I know right now) be counted against your quota of free
pages that you can view directly at the New York Times site.

This suggests that -- in theory anyway -- your entire month's free
quota of direct New York Times viewing could be wiped out without your
knowledge simply through the background operations of your browser.

I'll report back when I have more information about this
issue one way or another.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz
Quora: http://www.quora.com/Lauren-Weinstein