[ NNSquad ] Via Google, Tomorrow is Yesterday, or Yesterday is Tomorrow, or ...

Via Google, Tomorrow is Yesterday, or Yesterday is Tomorrow, or ...
http://j.mp/hEMKGG  (This message in Google Buzz)

 - - -

Greetings.  Here's a little reminder of what happens when you've been
online long enough, and of the bizarre sort of "immortality" that
Google enables.

This morning I did a Google Search for a Quite Obscure Topic related
to, uh, "multidimensional physics" (more or less).  I wouldn't have
been surprised to find nothing, but I did find -- at the very top of
the search results -- a single hit that (judging from the snippet)
looked highly relevant.  None of the other results looked promising in
this case.

I clicked through and started to read.  Yeah, good stuff, except, hmm,
something looked awfully familiar ...

DAMN.  It's my *own* posting.  From almost exactly 30 years ago in an
SF-L (Science Fiction Lovers) mailing list digest - 13 May 1981 from
Lauren@UCLA-SECURITY (no domains back then, of course).  SF-L was (by
the way) the *very first* ARPANET (and thus Internet) Digest -- created
originally as a "temporary expedient" due to what were perceived to be
"high" email volumes at the time.

http://j.mp/frNYIU  (SF-L Digest Vol 3 Issue 125 / Google)

I've run into versions of this phenomenon before, but never over such
a long time span on a purely serendipitous basis.

On one hand, I feel like one of those characters in a sci-fi plot who
comes face to face with an earlier version of themselves through a
time travel misadventure.  Pretty cool.

On the other hand, the realization that apparently in the three decades
since I wrote those words, nobody else has written anything relevant on
the topic (at least that was indexed) is a bit depressing.

The Google Time Machine.

Welcome to the 21st century (and the 20th century!), indeed.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz
Quora: http://www.quora.com/Lauren-Weinstein