[ NNSquad ] Using the Google Cr-48 Chrome OS notebook for secure communications

Using the Google Cr-48 Chrome OS notebook for secure communications
http://bit.ly/jjkAfZ  (This message on Google Buzz)

  - - -

Very briefly, I had previously mentioned in passing that I had worked
out a way to run a full-featured (full in-browser terminal emulation,
public/private login certificate support, tunneling, etc.) ssh Java
applet on the Google Cr-48 Chrome OS notebook.  This combination makes
the Cr-48 especially ideal for remote system administration where
remote site command line access is required, and where certs, rather
than passwords, are the required authentication credentials
(especially when flexible terminal emulation is desirable).

I had held off providing the details for setting this up (which does
require the Cr-48 "developer" mode be enabled) since I first wanted to
have a scripting mechanism to easily restore associated functionality
(the Cr-48 does not currently include integral Java support) after OS
updates -- I'd like to keep the system as "stock" as possible.  Also,
I wanted the relatively large applet to be hosted locally on the
Cr-48, to avoid the necessity of it downloading for each use from an
external site.

These issues have now been dealt with, and while I can't necessarily
vouch for how all of this will specifically be structured as Chrome OS
evolves, it is a highly functional combination and a rather sweet
package.

If you're interested in details please let me know.

Take care, all.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz