[ NNSquad ] Google, Yahoo, Twitter, Skype, etc. (& me too!) oppose Calif. bill that could decimate Net services

Google, Yahoo, Twitter, Skype, etc. (& me too!) oppose Calif. bill
that could decimate Net services
http://bit.ly/mIJlWP  (This message in Google Buzz)

 - - -

http://bit.ly/iAfwpQ  (Lauren's Blog [PDF])

    "The companies and organizations signed below are writing to
     strongly oppose SB 242.  As amended in the Senate Judiciary
     Committee on May 10, SB 242 would significantly undermine the
     ability of Californians to make informed and meaningful choices
     about use of their personal data, and unconstitutionally
     interfere with the right to free speech enshrined in the
     California and United States Constitutions, while doing
     significant damage to California's vibrant Internet commerce
     industry at a time when the state can least afford it."

 - - -

I support the position taken in this letter.  The proposed legislation
is wrong-headed, technically naive, and could do enormous damage in
a wide variety of contexts.  The legislation is the embodiment of a
dangerous and incorrect way to address privacy and related issues.

I'll have more to say about this when circumstances permit.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz