[ NNSquad ] ZDNET: "Privacy worries? Google shouldn't be your biggest fear"

ZDNET: "Privacy worries? Google shouldn't be your biggest fear"
http://j.mp/jGpIOq  (This message on Google Buzz)

 - - -

http://j.mp/mbUkNA  (ZDNET)

    "Maybe that's why I tend to not buy into a lot of the Google bashing
     that goes on over privacy and the suggestion that Google is spying on
     us and stealing our information so that they can do something sinister
     with it - like make money and provide online services that impact our
     daily lives. I've been using free GMail, Google Maps and Google Search
     for years and I've yet to have my identity stolen, my personal data
     compromised or my trash sifted through by a stalker who tracked me
     down because I used Google Maps for driving directions."

        -- Sam Diaz

 - - -

Sam makes a good point about the "three lives" we each have: secret,
private, and public.  In my own view, these tend to diverge as we get
older.  When we're young, we don't typically have a lot of "baggage"
that might be of concern.  But as the years pile up, what seemed
inconsequential "then" can become a real problem "now" -- just ask the
folks who couldn't get jobs when their prospective employers found
their underage drinking party photos on Facebook.

Of course, beyond an understanding of what aspects of our lives would
best reside in each of those three "life zones" (which involves a set
of personal decisions for each of us), it's also important that the
Web sites we visit provide us with the tools to help us manage those
decisions, and to help us avoid accidentally "intermingling" those
sectors in ways that we had not intended.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google Buzz: http://j.mp/laurenbuzz