[ NNSquad ] [Vint Cerf]: Re: Blocking DNS - 17 Mar 2011 - by Paul Vixie - "COICA and Secure DNS"

Forwarded with Vint's permission.

--Lauren--

----- Forwarded message from Vint Cerf <vint@google.com> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:21:25 -0400
From: Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Blocking DNS - 17 Mar 2011 - by Paul Vixie - "COICA
	and Secure DNS"
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>

Lauren,

George's argument seems flawed to me. Suppose you have a site that is NOT
illegal but a government wants to suppress it or even re-direct to a
counterfeit site. Without DNSSEC, such re-direction is possible without
detection. With DNSSEC one of two things might happen:

1. the site looks invalid because the DNSSEC check fails in which case
counterfeiting the site doesn't work. that's the good case I suppose except
that the government "wins" since it suppresses access to the site for those
relying on DNSSEC

2. the government produces a false but signed entry that passes the DNSSEC
check (wouldn't that mean that it had falsified a certificate containing the
public key of that domain name?) in which case the government succeeds in
re-directing even a DNSSEC-checking user.

Of course, if you ignore DNSSEC and accept whatever comes back as the IP
address, you will be fooled (or denied access to the real site).

vint

----- End forwarded message -----