[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC upset about "cell phone logjam" after D.C. quake

The cellular system is designed to fail because if you can't bill for a bit
you have to block it.

As Tom Evlsin reminded us at Telecom 2018, on 9/11 the Internet and VoIP
proved resilient. If you provide wired<=>wireless routers (AKA access
points) along the wired path then you get the best of path then you get
resilience. As long as any path works you've got connectivity. Especially if
the wired bits could hop failed wired segments using radios.

During the transition we can do Cellular over IP (CoIP) which T-Mobile
supports ... but ATT does not and has explicitly not committed to retain if
they get control of T-Mobile.

    [ Speaking in terms of the existing infrastructure for now, I had
      long been under the impression that cell phones were supposed to
      be able to access any frequency/modulation capable network for
      911 calls, even if the phone isn't registered on those networks
      -- even if the phone didn't have a SIM.  But clearly that doesn't
      work most of the time -- if at all anymore -- with modern phones.