[ NNSquad ] FCC upset about "cell phone logjam" after D.C. quake

Many newer wired systems now depend on remote equipment away from the CO with limited battery backup. The problem is vastly worse on the wireless networks, where most of the profusion of microcells and interconnecting circuits not only have limited battery backups, but no independent generating facilities.

It's really quite freaky when people with telephone provided by their CATV company don't realize that their local CPE is where their loop comes from along with all the battery powered equipment on the poles in between that handset and dial-tone.

I would wonder what the CATV company's policy is on replacing batteries in those CPE units.
On a regular schedule or when someone complains it's not working?

I have some ISDN bridges that suffered the same problem -- except I also had another land line in addition since the ISDN was paid for by my employer. I had a UPS on it... but then again, I'm not the normal customer.

  [ See:

    "Your Cable Company -- powered by the guy with the extension cord"
     http://j.mp/otoUtM  (Interesting People)

 -Ben