[ NNSquad ] ars technica: "Trading in IPv4 addresses will end in tears"

ars technica: "Trading in IPv4 addresses will end in tears"

http://j.mp/pvfWiW  (ars technica)

    "But the good news is that IPv6 addresses can be had without conforming
     to oppressive policies and essentially for free. Ask for some at your
     friendly neighborhood service provider."

 - - -

Do you know what would happen if I called up my service providers and
"asked for IPv6 addresses"?  I've done it.  It takes an hour to reach
anyone with even the remotest idea of what I'm talking about.  And
then they say, essentially, forget it.

We are in a dandy box.  IPv6 is going to take ages to widely deploy to
end users.  The ISPs' plans for "carrier grade NAT" are a nightmare
for anything other than, essentially, simple Web browsing.

Trading IPv4 addresses will probably buy us some time, including some
of the enormous blocks allocated to organizations that will never use
them.  I don't advocate forcible repatriation, but rather financial
incentives to accomplish this when possible.

But overall, it's a massive mess.