[ NNSquad ] The Copyright Nightmare of "I Have a Dream" + My Comments

The Copyright Nightmare of "I Have a Dream" + My Comments
http://j.mp/q9mSI3  (This message on Google+)

 - - -

http://j.mp/oTKQ91  (Article on "Motherboard")

     "If you weren't alive to witness Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream"
      speech on the Washington Mall 48 years ago this week, you might
      try to switch on the old YouTube and dial it up. But you won't find it
      there or anywhere else; rights to its usage remain with King and his
      family."

 - - -

The copyright issues are real enough.  The article is of course inaccurate
in its assertion that "you won't find it ... anywhere else."

In fact, it took me about five minutes just now to find a full video
copy (on a Web page ready to play, not on a torrent or anything like
that) of the speech, and many more copies were also present.

Admittedly, I used something that might arguably be called a "search
trick" to speed finding the material.  But it's a technique that
anyone can employ that should be readily apparent in hindsight, and is
very effective at locating copies of media that have undergone
"obvious" takedowns.

The point being that cleansing the Net of anything after it has been
publicly posted (especially if widely posted) is essentially
impossible.  If the goal of takedowns is to reduce only the level of
"trivially easy" access to any given item, then they may be *partly*
successful -- for a very limited while.  But in the long run, you
really can't unring that bell, while an awful lot of time and money is
being spent trying to ineffectively block access to knowledge that has
already been posted, rather than to disseminate knowledge as widely as
possible.

Please see: "Copyright: Dead Man Walking"
( http://j.mp/drbTy [Lauren's Blog] ) for more on this.

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren